Oct 4, 2007

My mommy didn't tell all this ....

I started this post when school began, but left it in draft form. Today I have some strong feelings after emailing Ethan's teacher back and forth to get some "clarification". My momma never said there would be days like this ...

After 5 weeks of school and countless emails between Ethan's teachers and myself, I am even MORE convinced that parenting is NOT easy and certainly NOT the same for everyone. There is NO cookie cutter answer for dealing with children. One thing IS clear, you must be an advocate for your children. You must become a student once again, you must do research and you must be able to handle conflicts. Don't get me wrong Ethan has had a great year so far especially in light of his brain surgery this past July, but I have had to stay on top of my game and his schoolwork and classwork. This is his 5th grade year and he has 6 teachers me and hubbie have to deal with. He has homework from each of them at different times each week and I must admit keeping it straight even boggles my mind. We keep a folder for each class and each teacher sends home work for all of us to do so Ethan does not get behind. This year we are doing Ethan's mastery AND regular fifth grade work. Ooohhhh Boy!! Anyway, I am saying all this to say, that having children IS a gift from God, but you gotta know what you are getting into and you absolutely MUST be there for them and advocate for them. So many parents are letting the school do everything and don't give a care until the teacher calls home and says "Johnny" is having problems, and then the parent wants to get mad. No, No, please let me know when "Johnny" is having the problem, WHEN he is having the problem and not weeks later or on his report card. I am there for my children and will spend as much time as I can at the school, on the phone and send emails until the cows come home. My children also need to know that me and daddy will be there when they need us, even if I don't feel like driving to the school for the 3rd time today. My daddy called his own teacher parent meeting, every year and I hated it, but you know what? Those teachers NEVER had a problem out of me and always knew they could call my dad if they needed anything - - even today 21 years later, when I see some of those same teachers and principals, they ask me how is Mr. Jay? That is how I want it to be for the boys - a working relationship w/ the staff - I don't want anyone making decisions for my children for me, BUT with me.

Lord, thank you for these children you gave us and I pray for those babies who parents could care less ...

No comments: