Jan 16, 2008

Whose report will you believe?

D and I spent the morning at Ethan's school yesterday. We met with ALL of his teachers, speech therapist, diagnostician, and principal because we got back Ethan's neuropsychological report just before Christmas and we wanted to give them the recommendations from his doctors. Whenever we have to meet with the school district staff it is NOT easy for me, because I know that they have to use "district lingo "and "educational labels" for Ethan that I do not approve of, but it is what it is and I use the "biblical lingo" God gave me. Thank you very much!

Ethan's doctors had already spent an hour with me last November going over his reports and their findings and what they wanted to see in his schoolwork and future "testing", so I made it clear at the meeting that I already knew what was going to go down. (I sound like a western fight) Anyway, the battle is the Lord's and not mine, so I asked God to reign over the meeting and guide me and D's words as we worked through the laundry list of items we needed to cover. God blessed us with a meeting where tempers did NOT flare and the adjustments we asked for and the doctor's recommended were accepted. BUT .. I still walked away from the meeting thinking what happened to the days when school was for learning things, 2 + 2 = 4, science, art, reading, field trips, etc. NOT teaching a standardized test? Why is it important to learn how to take a test. Yes, Ethan has some of the subjects I mentioned, but the focus is so much on the standardized test for schools these days. I wanted to ask and when the tests are finished, what will Ethan know? What will he remember? The tests or the that blue and yellow make " green"?

Ethan has made great strides since his surgery last July and even bigger strides since he started having seizures in 2003 and he is no dummy, but if you read the reports from the school and listen to those who work with him sometimes, it is as if he will NEVER do better or that we shouldn't have expectations or goals for him ... Philippians 1:6 says, He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." God did not create my son to just exist and die on the vine. He has a plan and a purpose for Ethan .. Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Just because Ethan has learning challenges, does not mean he cannot contribute to society, start his own business, marry the woman of his dreams and raise his children in the fear and admonition of the Lord.

This family believes the report of the Lord ... Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from God. Psalm 123:14 "I will give thanks unto thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Wonderful are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well".

No comments: