Oct 17, 2008

One Day to Give



Kristen over at We are THAT family had a great idea! Share yourself and/or resources with someone without expecting anything in return.

At first I thought ... what can I do? I began thinking and thinking and looking for something to do, something that would bless someone's socks off. Then that's when it hit me.... I realized God has allowed many opportunities to be presented to me without me having to "search" for them. All I need to do is let the Lord use me.

Please bear with me .. this story is long ...

Last year when my oldest son was in the hospital after his brain tumor surgery we spent 2 days in the ICU. While we were there, a young lady (14) and her sister (8 or 9) tried to cross a very busy intersection in another part of town and were struck by a car. The younger sister came out with only scrapes and bruises, but the older sister was brought to the hospital where we were.
From what I understand, they did surgery, but the outcome did NOT look good for her. She had at least 20 to 30 family members in the waiting room wanting to hear good news.

When your child is in ICU, you can stay in the room, but you cannot eat in the room, you have to go to the family waiting room. They have vending machines (with very expensive treats) or you can go to the hospital cafeteria and pay 7.00 for a hamburger and fries. I noticed how there were a few families in the waiting room who wanted something to eat, but scoffed at the price tag of the 25 cent M&Ms, which were in the machine for 1.00 or how they didn't expect to be at the hospital for so long and didn't have any money.

Our church and family members knew we were at the hospital and would be for at least a week, so they showered us each day with snacks, food, money, prayers, cards, and gift cards. Every time someone would come to see us, the concierge would call us to come to the Family Waiting room to pick up the gift baskets that had been left for us. One day, we were called to the room 3 times in a row. People knew we needed something. We were VERY grateful for the love being show towards us, but at one point I felt .. not embarrassed, but guilty I guess because time after time after time, our names were being called to receive these gifts and everyone in the waiting room would look up at see what we had gotten. You could see the children who were there for the young lady who was hit by the car staring at the "goodies" or overhear the moms say .." we will get something later " , "I don't have any money right now. "

Then it hit me ... don't feel guilty .. SHARE, SHARE your blessings and we did just that. We shared the goodies with the children and the family in the waiting room. I got one of the bags we had been given and loaded it up with snacks for the family. I also took some money to the mom of the young lady and prayed for her.

I am being totally honest when I say, I could have easily stayed in my son's room and kept our blessings to myself. I could have easily stayed in his room away from all the people and noise that were getting on my nerves. I could have easily with my judgemental self kept staring at the grown ups who were cursing every other word when they spoke to the doctors and nurses. But God kept tugging at my heart saying SHUT UP, be a light and GIVE, GIVE. (Maybe not those words, but definitely .. GIVE!) I must say when I got myself out of the way ... God did great things that week.

It didn't seem like enough, so my husband and I talked and decided to work with the hospital to sponsor a FREE snack corner or gift bag that each family could receive upon entering the ICU floor that would have snacks and/or a cafeteria gift card for the family to have without any cost to them. That way, you don't have to worry (at least for a few hours) about what to eat or leaving the hospital to get something for the kiddos.

All the kinks have not been worked out yet, but this is how we want to say thank you and to bless family after family when they are at such an unknown time in their lives with their children.

Lastly, my husband is a giver, especially when it comes to things of God. His concern was for the young lady's father. He sought out the dad to pray for him and to let him know that if he needed to talk and pray, that my husband would be there for him and gave him his cell phone number. He also wanted to make sure this young lady's dad knew Jesus Christ, personally. They did get to pray, but did not get to talk about his relationship with Christ, because as they finished praying the doctor's called the dad and the mom in to let them know that the young lady passed away.

We never saw them again after that day, but prayed for them and prayed that somehow someway, they could feel the arms of God wrapped around them during this time.

God totally blessed us with the healing of our son and his rapid recovery, how could we turn around and NOT give to someone else?

When all was said and done, there were no fireworks or choirs singing Hallelujah .. this was nothing big monetarily, but we gave out of what we had at that time and I know that my God was pleased.


And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23. KJV

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an incredible story! I love your idea for the snack corner and I pray that God will continue to fill it.

Kristen said...

What an amazing story!

This is such a needed and practical ministry!

Way to go!

We revisit the NICU every year on Christmas Day and take the understaffed nursing crew gifts and food. Because we will never forget how they served us the Christmas our baby spent the holidays with them and not us...

Skoots1moM said...

u are exactly right...when we received God calls us to turn and GIVE...
love it...
recently one of our youth that has now grown up and is a teacher has gone into remission from leukemia...she now gives talks about what God has done in her life...the kids so listen to her heart being poured out and I know He is blessing her obedience and her giving back to those who prayed for her.
thanks for your post!

Robin said...

Wow - being able to give to others when you are in the middle of your own crisis. That can only come from God. Thanks for sharing your touching story.

Rosheeda said...

Jai-

Have ya'll thoughtof getting donations from local companies? I know Frito-Lay is here and Dr. Pepper too. Maybe even local Wal*Marts or Sam's Clubs. And Even the Food Bank. I've volunteered there before and there so much stuff there. They get all sorts of treats and goodies perfect for snacking @ hospitals and such.

Just some ideas. My mind is really working as I type this. Do you guys need some help?

ro

Rosheeda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

As a nurse who worked in the ICU for 8 years, this is such a wonderful ministry. And the blessings will flow from it!

Thanks for sharing your story. And blessings as you work on this project.

heidi said...

Amazing. Bless you for thinking of something like this.

Nicole said...

Thankyou so much for such a wonderful and beautiful post. You are such a great example!

Susan said...

Wow, what a touching story!!! I'm so blessed God used you guys to be such a BRIGHT light to this family.

Who knows how many more noticed and were deeply touched by your kindness.

I pray your idea takes off, and God blesses that too.

I'm sitting here in Memphis now, Jordan will be doing his scans, yes, it's that time...

I'm feeling so overwhelmed with thankfulness that our journey has turned out so well.

Keep us in prayer!!

Love you,

Susan